Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Flowers in the Attic V.C Andrews
Reason: I chose this book because I felt as if it as going to be a good book. And believe me it was. The setting of this book was in the 1950’s.
Plot: After the death of her husband, Corinne Dollanganger takes her four children Christopher, Catherine, Cory, and Carrie, and goes to live with her wealthy parents who she hasn't seen in years. Once they arrive at the forbidding mansion, Foxworth Hall, the Dollanganger children learn a terrible family secret the reason that their mother was disowned and disinherited years earlier. Which was because she married her half uncle. In order to inherit her ailing father's wealth, Corinne and her mother must hide the existence of her children. The total time that thekids were in the attic for was 3 years, 4 months, and 16 days. So Cathy and her brothers are mistreated and tortured by their evil grandmother. Day by day, week by week, month by month, Cathy, Chris, Carrie, and Cory become weaker and weaker, but there is never anyone from the outside world to notice. Their only hideaway is the attic, the one place that they can go to relive the happiness that they used to know, and only there can they begin to plan their escape, to return to the lives they used to know. They soon do escape, and that’s when you start reading “petals in the wind”, by George Orwell.
Character: The character that I am to focus on is the evil grandmother. Several times the grandmother has plotted to kill the children. Her attempts have gone as far as pouring tar on little Carries head. She is a really evil person and throughout the novel it definitely shows. The Grandmother is really old, but still in good shape. The roll she takes on is evil. I selected this character because I find her interesting. I find her interesting because of the fact that she is so mischievous.
Evaluation: I really loved this book and it kind of made my appreciate my life. You know- when you seem like your all upset but you really aren’t because in comparison to a lot of other things your life is good. I would recommend this book to everyone who wants to learn to love life.
This book compared to real life because of the fact that this could be happening in any house, even your next door neighbors. I think this book is important for everyone to read because it would make people realize how good their life is.
If I was in the plot I would have acted the same way as Cathy, the main and oldest character. I think her decisions were very good and I support the way she acted. I wish the book wouldn’t of ended, and that the second book would just come with the first book because it gets you so wrapped up in that.
Author: The author of this book was V.C Andrews. She was basically the inventor of Gothic writing. Flowers in the Attic is her best seller. She made a few other books and they are mostly sequels.

No comments: