Thursday, December 6, 2007

Thomson’s Violin

Preface:
One day, you wake up in hospital. In the nearby bed lies a world famous violinist who is connected to you with various tubes and machines.
To your horror, you discover that you have been kidnapped by the Music Appreciation Society. Aware of the maestro’s impending death, they hooked you up to the violinist.
If you stay in the hospital bed, connected to the violinist, he will be totally cured in nine months. You are unlikely to suffer harm. No one else can save him. Do you have an obligation to stay connected?

If I were hooked up to the Violinist I would probably remain. However there would probably be a few factors that would be considered: is he a good person? How did I get there-I mean the story line did say that I was kidnapped… and the most important- will I be released promptly in nine months and return to normal? I regard human life the way people now in days regard animal life- very negatively. I really don’t see what humans have done for the world except for trash it with advances that have only distanced us from the real meaning of life which is still unclear. However, if I was hooked up to the violinist I would probably stay because of the fact that I am saving a human life and it is morally wrong to kill someone else. I mean nine months of my life to save somebody else’s forever. Seems worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can't base this all from morals. Who has ever told you the differences from right/wrong and who are they to tell you? And who is there to determine that he is a good person? And I'm still confused about your philisophical response to life itself, but then again you don't care for much besides people who do drugs and people who are willing to plow you.

Gisele said...

I agree,
I would want to be told over and over and promised that i would be released exactly at 9 months.