Monday, March 3, 2008

Creative Writting- When does graffitti become art?

When asked to think about this question my mind honestly goes crazy. When I say crazy I do not mean that with a smile on my face. I say that with a frog in my throat and a stern look- like looking at something like this I am literally going insane. My mind is exploding with thought. From this explosion has created a new life of thought that I am so afraid to explore. The explosion has been caused by the stuff that I have done prior. Explosions in my mind are just a simile to represent something so magnificent- that so many people feel rots a mind. I feel like my mind is only expanding. Who can sit her and say expansion is negative?
I look at this picture and so many things come to mind. You know how people say a picture is worth a thousand words? I believe that every picture that I have ever seen –well any type of art work- is worthy of my thinking of a thousand different worlds. Something that sticks out more than anything to me is the background- all of the different colors of paint. The color that sticks out most to me is the red. I think about the red and wonder how everyone else sees the color red. I think its ridiculous how I can see a different red in comparison to everyone else. We never really know if we are normal because there’s no definite thing that defines world. I not only look at the red paint like that but I look at how thick the brush stroke was- what type of brush was used? Was it beautifully splashed amongst the canvas-each stroke depicting a separate meaning or is it just splashed upon the canvas-still beautiful but not representing as much meaning. However- is it still just depicting just as much meaning splashed on as it would be planned? Like depicting a broken life of shit? Or representing crazy times. You don’t even know and that scares me. Another thing I think about when it comes to the red paint is where the paint came from-what type of water was used within the paint? Where did the water come from? Was it purified in a factory? Did it come from a famous persons sink? Where did the ingredients from the paint come from? Everything comes from something and I really think we need to appreciate that factor. It is kind of funny how no matter how little something there is always something smaller that represents a story of how it is there.
I don’t think anything can represent graffiti because that terminology takes upon such a negative connotation. Art on the other hand sounds so plan and boring. I do not really think that that term art properly describes the blood and sweat that goes into the work that the “artists” do. It is so much more than a three letter word. Its indescribable.

No comments: