Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Making Sense of American Popular Music

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

“How It ends” By Recon
You have become the one that you hate, the one you despise. You have changed. Changed for the worst, never coming back. This is my burden that I take on my bloodshed wings. I will never rest until your last breath has left your body. I will never rest until you are dead. This is how it ends. I will never rest until you're dead. I will bury you.

1.) The dictionary defines a song as a short musical composition with words. The band that I am choosing to do is Recon. This music would ultimately fall under the hardcore/metal realm.
2.) While there are no historical influences, bands Recon identifies with include Hatebreed and Pantera.
3.) Recon created this song. This song is actually about the drummer, Paul’s, ex girlfriend, which I found absolutely hilarious how he is so vocal and out about that.
4.) The song is basically a hate song towards Paul’s ex girlfriend. However, there are many different views that this song could capacitate. Another view could probably be towards an old friend, or just somebody you hate and want dead, in general.
5.) While the song is very short, it does have structure. However, another plus about this song is the actual beat to it, and how the words are very stretched out to create a three minuet long song that has hardly any lyrics. The hook is definitely the guitar/drum beats. I am very attracted to the breakdowns in this song. It doesn’t really have chores, because this song is basically the same length of chores in a regular song. It’s one stanza, but doesn’t sound like it.
6.) This song doesn’t really have an historical context because of the fact that this is a very new and underground band.
7.) This song probably says a lot about the stupid hardcore kids, and not so much regular society. I hate that scene with the gauged ears, black hair, tight girl pants, “effin break shieett” attitude. Now you might be asking yourself- “what is hardcore?” Mike from Recon said “You know...Koi fish tattoos, shiny diamond/dollar sign clothes and other wigger stuff, girl pants, big ears, teen angst, anime hair, throat tattoos, Hatebreed moustache tattoos, tattoos of weapons, breakdowns, straight edge, breaking edge, the same 3 girls banging the same 65 dudes, getting aids, fighting everyone, memorizing the age of consent, acting like your opinion matters, etc...” it made my day ten times brighter when I read this.
8.) Not only the song, but the entire band is somehow related to the military. “Personally, I'm interested in that sort of thing. I don't really think I'd have what it takes to join the military or anything like that, but I have the utmost respect for those who do, we've got friends and family members who are in Iraq right now and it really takes a lot to drop everything and go put your life on the line for some sh*t you may or may not agree with. I'm a big fan of WWII and Vietnam history, I read up on that stuff as much as possible and I jock the History and Military channels pretty hard (Mail Call is the most glorious show ever conceived). As a band I think it all fits in with the name, and like I said before, we're all into war and military themed movies, favorites being Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, The Rambo trilogy and Apocalypse Now.”

www.myspace.com/recon

No comments: